Just a suggestion.

If you can find some people who are not currently commuters and are
interested in do thing just this very thing, could they be a partial
committer, only working on the RPM's and not the other parts of maven?

In my opinion, this is the spirit of open source software.  I know
everywhere I have been my IT/OPS wanted RPM's for maven.

Jason