On 3/20/12 5:23 PM, "Stephen Connolly" <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 20 March 2012 22:49, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Jason Chaffee
>> <jason.chaf...@betfair.com> wrote:
>>> Just a suggestion.
>>>
>>> If you can find some people who are not currently commuters and are
>>> interested in do thing just this very thing, could they be a partial
>>> committer, only working on the RPM's and not the other parts of maven?
>>>
>>> In my opinion, this is the spirit of open source software.  I know
>>> everywhere I have been my IT/OPS wanted RPM's for maven.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> It's actually simpler than this. If someone posts a reasonable patch
>> -- where reasonable means (in my opinion), "could be part of the
>> automated Jenkins builds, doesn't inordinately inconvenience people
>> building the core on Windows", then some committer might commit it.
>> *I* might commit it.
>
>I might commit it too, but I ain't going to have time to test it, and
>I would only commit it in a separate module in a separate tree so that
>it could be released separately, but others may have a different
>view... I don't see myself raising veto on RPM builds

I agree that they should be separate modules, I would expect some type of
integration tests that would be written with the modules.  However, that
is problematic unless maven has a CI environment that could ramp up VM's
quickly for the different distributions and test them.

Anyway, I would love to see RPM's, but I am not really interested myself
in doing them either.  Hopefully, someone else can find a good solution
and do this work and we can get it added, but I do see the challenges.