The problems I saw only seemed to be affected my projects where I'd updated to
use 3.0 of the compiler plugin, using the default version used by maven 3.1.0
I've not seen the problem.

The problem I was seeing was that Maven was downloading pretty much EVERY .pom
mentioned in the upstream metadata for my version ranged artifacts and not just
those from the specified range, this seemed ( from memory ) to them be pulling
down all of the transitive deps for ALL versions regardless of range resolution.

I'll see if I get similar behaviour here at the office on the same project.