Le vendredi 26 juillet 2013 01:05:44 Fred Cooke a écrit :
> About the fork, though, I'm interested. I'm interested in why it's
> maintained and how it differs. I'm interested because I intend to fork it
> myself to fix things which would break others which I know won't change
> upstream (site and release stuff). Perhaps someone already fixed what I
> consider broken and others, perhaps, do not consider broken. Email me
> privately if need be.
>
> If the fork is just a branch (or set thereof), and not promoted as a fork
> (in a social sense), then is there really any harm? Is it being viewed as a
> loss of potential work done? Open source is open for a reason.
+1

in your case for example:

if you make a fork to site plugin to fix it in a personal way, please don't
hide it but show us where you fork/branch and explain how you change the code
(in a Jira issue?): I'm interested to see your work and understand what you're
doing, since I definitely don't understand how you find the plugin broken (and
to be honest, every time I read this "broken" sentence, I feel aggressed).

IMHO, a personal branch can be an excellent way of working with the community:
I'm really interested to see you fix what I can't do because I really don't
understand what is "broken".

Of course, if the difference between your branch and trunk gets big, it'll be
harder to find how to converge later: but we'll see. Explaned with the
community from start, and used to interact with the community to show how it
can evolve, we can understand and define with consensus that this can be a real
friendly fork = a different choice on some fundamental point. Or perhaps it
will be the start og m-site-p 4: who knows?

Regards,

Hervé