Is it feasible to somehow change the IT test infrastructure to run against multiple versions? So that the best of both worlds is available ( at the expense of longer build times ).

Thats one thing I'd love to have with the invoker plugin ( not sure if these IT tests use that ) for things like the clojure-maven-plugin, so that I can use the same IT test projects injecting different versions of clojure.