Rodrigo Madera wrote:
By what you said, you definitely described a HTTP based application.
Everything you need can be used using simple JSP stuff.

What Rodrigo said.

If what you want to do can be directly done using HTTP, I believe you are much better off using it than using any other protocol or messaging system. This means your protocol has to be either purely stateless, or be able to live with the kinds of state management that you can do with Sessions in the servlet model (and equivalent)

Of course, you can go too far in this direction.
One thing that drives me nuts is folks reimplementing much of TCP/IP over HTTP (or worse, remote object invocation, etc.).

The prime advantage of using HTTP, in addition to the not minor fact that there are tons of tools to help, is that corporate firewalls generally allow HTTP over port 80 and many block nearly everything else.

Being able to deploy in a commercial setting without having to spend years getting the IT department to approve is a big deal.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/