Okay, feel free to flame.

Possibility of merging annotations w/ code generation:

@Component(
  type = "...",
  family = "...",
  rendererType = "...",
  tagClass = "...",
  events = {
    @ComponentEvent(
      type = "...",
      phases = { "...", "..." }),
  )
public abstract class MyComponent extends UIXComponent
{
  @ComponentProperty(
    description = "or is this better in javadoc? -- harder to code the
generator, but easier to document",
    extensions = {
      @PropertyExtension(name = "preferred", value = Boolean.TRUE),
      @PropertyExtension(name = "...", value = "...")
    })
  private String _foo;

  @ComponentPropertySkel
  public abstract String getFoo();

  public void broadcast(FacesEvent event)
  {
    // custom code
  }
}

This would be in a pre-processing folder of maven (not src/main/java). The
plugin can then take this file an build the concrete class from it.

This is basically the same as the trinidad approach but it merges the xml
with the template.

This way you don't get tedious xml like:
      <property-extension>
        <mfp:method-binding-signature>
          <mfp:return-type>java.lang.String</mfp:return-type>
        </mfp:method-binding-signature>

Just a thought.

-Andrew