I don't think just dropping the code will be enough. There are some contract
difference between Facelets and Facelets in JSF 2.0. Although they're mostly
compatible, some interfaces were added (see pdl) and the createView contract
was changed as well (forcing full tree population that doesn't seem to be
the case in Facelets code atm).

Furthermore, imho it's quite healthy to fork the code as it's going to start
an improvement "competition" between Mojarra's Facelets and our Facelets,
much like what happened when MyFaces was first implemented, much faster than
RI at the time, forcing the latter to improve their own code and so on.

That being said, if the community feels like we should limit the amount of
changes as much as possible (to include Facelets updates and bug fixes every
now and then for example), I could also abide to that.

Regards,

~ Simon