On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Ali Ok <al...@aliok.com.tr> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> About this issue, let's talk on some new HTML5 element attributes with two
> different JSF-side cases:
>
> "placeholder" attribute of "input" element: With this attribute, we can set
> a placeholder text that is shown if there is nothing typed into input.

IMO to have a "good" coverage of that, IMO we need an attribute on the
<h:inputText>
which is for sure a no-go

(spec says "when the element's value is the empty string and the
control is not focused ")
So hard to give a "hint" (that's what placeholder is for) with out
having the page-author
specifying details (via a tag-attribute)

> New "required" attribute of "input" element : If this is set, input is
> validated against emptyness before the form is submitted.

yes is possible, even today.

> Placeholder: We cannot add a placeholder attribute on <h:inputText> since it
> is not defined on spec, and no current component attribute can be used for
> this.

correct, see above

> Required: We can totally render HTML5 "required" attribute if <h:inputText
> required="true">. IMHO, we can do this by

I agree

> Writing a new renderer for <h:inputText> that extends current one with
> rendering "required" element attribute if set;
> And telling users to register this new renderer if they want to use optional
> HTML5.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Or, we can do this by using an optional HTML5 context parameter, as Jakob
> said.

even with ctx parameter, introducing new attributes to h:xyz is a no-go ;-)

But the rendering of stuff like "required" is truly an option.
Default => if OK with TCK
CTX-Param => just in case if TCK does complain ... ;)

> Another thing: there are very few new features that can be applied to
> current components without breaking the spec. May be the only one which fits
> in the discussed case is "required".
>
>> IMO it's fine to "merge" stuff during/after GSOC.
>
> Yeah, I think so.

or + aditional contributions to myfaces-core ;-)
But honestly, that's up to you..