FYI
http://java.sun.com/javaee/javaserverfaces/2.0/docs/api/javax/faces/component/NamingContainer.html#SEPARATOR_CHAR

is deprecated now

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Jan-Kees van Andel
<jankeesvanan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This reminds me of something else I reported (or supported, can't remember)
> to the EG a while ago. It was about the ID naming separator, which is a
> colon. This colon is invalid and may cause issues with W3C, but I've also
> heard of people who had JavaScript issues with it. Anyway it's invalid
> according to the HTML spec.

right, but wasn't understood at the time of writing the JSF spec ;-)

> I see the same issue rising up with this feature. I think we should always
> render the "most valid" possible markup, according to the markup type of the
> page (html, xhtml, html5 and preferably strict). Even if the JSF spec
> doesn't check generated HTML, I think we still need to generate good stuff.

yes, but TCK is not unimportant; we can always bring up issues, to the EG.
This has NEVER been a big problem, so I'd stick with that way!

> Having said this, I feel the developer should explicitly enable HTML5
> support. "required" and "placeholder" attributes should never be written to
> the client on a html4/xhtml1 page. This should be an explicit choice of the
> developer.

placeholder is a no-go anyway. If someone adds the <hx:xyz> components
(that target html5), I don't see a reason to do baby-sitting :-)

the required can be via flag, as said before

> Regarding the configuration style, I support the context-param idea, but we
> should be very careful with those things. They often lead to lead to a mess.
> Once the HTML5 spec is final, I think we should consider refactoring all
> HTML5 stuff into a separate RenderKit.

I think the GSOC proposal does speak of a HTML5_RenderKit :-)
Not sure how that differs from your point.

Martin just said something like "if possible, add html5 stuff already
today" (however that is possible)

-Matthias