On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:04 PM Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 21:17, Jan Lahoda <lah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Still unsure about how we handle catalog and signing issues though.
> >> Am I right in thinking with current situation people will see a
> >> warning on update?  Definitely see this already when re-enabling
> >> nb-javac.
> >
> > That is one of the things I'd like to try. The update will be a two
> phase process - first update the nb/updatecenters module, and then
> nb-javac. I *think* there should be no warning for the second update
> (because the NBM is signed using the key that is embedded in the
> updatecenters module), but I am less sure about how exactly the first
> update will work.
>
> I'm fairly sure the first update at least will show a warning.
> Installing other nbms from the distribution UC does now.

Yes, i am afraid so, unless we find a way to sensibly sign the NBMs.

There is this (which is probably what Reema shared):
https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/code_signing_service_now_available

But I have no idea if we asked to an access there. (And if ASF would pay
for each signed file, then singing several hundreds NBMs would not fly
anyway, I think.) But we could at least use that for this update release
(which will likely only consist of a handful of NBMs), and try to do
something better for the future.

But the second update should be without warning, if the NBMs is done
properly.

> Check the link Reema shared that I posted earlier.  We might be able
> to use that, in the short term manually signing the relevant updates
> via the web interface?  Except that shows a browser security error for
> me.  And also specifies .jar extension.
>
> What other options are there?  Is there any *secure* way that we can
> add trust in the IDE for modules built on ASF infrastructure?  If I
> understand it correctly, the current way the third-party UC does this
> will only work for a single build?

I wonder if we could validate the GPG signatures (.asc) we need to use
anyway - the IDE could then have a list of "trusted" KEYs.

Jan