Hi, I'm the author of the PR in question. My intention of using `git rebase` was to make review easier by splitting the changes into two individually meaningful commits. It's less work to just push the individual commits, so I'm fine doing that as well of course.

Regarding the rebase / merge issue:
My git-fu is not that strong, but wouldn't merging master into the PR branch make code review harder, because every change on the master branch would now be part of the PR as well? If that's true, I see no other way to keep the PR up to date than using `git rebase`.

It was my original suggestion to John to just clone my fork and checkout the PR branch, which is clearly a bad idea when that branch is rewriting history. So that's on me. Going forward, maybe it makes sense to have a section "Testing a PR" in the guidelines that suggest a more robust setup (i.e. cloning apache/netbeans and doing what Emilian Bold suggested)?

Best regards,
Thomas Zimmermann