We're talking about very, VERY subjective perspectives here.  Just because
there is a new fad called "flat" doesn't mean it's an improvement.
Actually, "flat" looks so 1970's ish.  Perhaps the fascination with it is
due to the fact that most of the productive people here either weren't
alive at that time in computing history or were still too young to remember
those days.....

I agree with Mr. Bakke that on Windows and Mac it should still use the os
native laf as the default.  For Linux (where I spend 100% of my development
time) I don't care what ships as long as I can make it what I want it to be
by merely selecting from a list that includes basic stuff like we've got
now (i.e. "Metal").  I don't find "dark" or "flat" attractive in the
least.  I DO like colorful icons that make my desktop "attractive".  What
we each think is "attractive" is a very subjective judgement so a variety
of options is a good thing -- even on Windows and Mac for those who prefer
something other than native.

Just my $.02.