On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 09:07, Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org> wrote:

> Azul would most likely want to include functionality for selecting, using,
> and updating Zulu from within their bundle of NetBeans. I.e., so that when
> Java development is done in the NetBeans bundled with Zulu, the developer
> can choose Zulu and also keep their Zulu install updated.
>
> This would not be mainstream NetBesns functionality, we’d need a special
> branch off the release branch for this, with an official Apache NetBeans
> release process, voting, etc, and then the convenience binary would be
> bundled with Zulu and made available on an azul.com domain.
>
> Does this sound doable?

First email sounds good, this I think would be a problem.  I don't
think we can have vendor-specific release branches in that way, but 2
other options spring to mind -

1) work out a generic API for this, even if Azul is the only vendor
implementing the other end of it, and add that to the normal release.
That works if anyone else wants to pick it up later.

2) do via plugin, and make sure we have a way for bundles to
pre-include plugins (if that's not already achievable?) in such a way
that the demarcation with Apache NetBeans itself is clear to the user
(eg. install dialog / license on first run).

This of course is assuming Azul want to ship Apache NetBeans and not
Azul IDE based on Apache NetBeans?