From: Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2021 7:08 AM
To: dev@netbeans.apache.org; Jaroslav Tulach
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Let's require NetBeans to be built with JDK11 was:
reviving old thread

On 01.10.21 08:29, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
> It is obviously possible to do that with reflection the way you describe
> below.
> However my preferred way is to use
>
> http://wiki.apidesign.org/wiki/AlternativeImplementation
>
> E.g. slowly start introducing `org.netbeans.modules.xyz.jdk11` modules that
> would register "seams" and spice the default JDK8 behavior on JDK11 with
> additional functionality without the need for reflection.
>
> By setting `java.target=11` in `project.properties` file one instructs the
> NetBeans Harness build system to insert
>
> OpenIDE-Module-Java-Dependencies: Java > 11
>
> into module manifest. Then such module is only going to be enabled on JDK11.
I like this proposal in principle. But since it appears that there is
still the requirement to run the platform and the editor features on 8.
This could be basically only set for new modules - everything which is
already there must still work (tested etc) on 8 until 8 is *actually*
dropped.

In case i am missing something - what module would be a candidate for
java.target=11 (as example)?

best regards,

michael