On 04.10.21 15:59, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 13:31, Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 04.10.21 12:38, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 10:08, Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:
My proposal would be that 12.6 is the last release of Apache NetBeans
that supports building on JDK 8, ...
Also, I realise the other thing that needs to be considered there if
we're going to do this .. 12.6 is the first release to drop all uses
of JDK 8 for release builds, etc.?  We should probably make sure we're
ready for this on the infrastructure side while we can still fall back
to JDK 8 in an emergency?!
it has to be tested on 8, otherwise it will become incompatible fast. My
understanding was that the minimum build JDK would be bumped to 11, so
that selected 11-only modules can be built, but the requirement to run
on 8 is *still* there.
I'm not sure anyone is saying otherwise right now? (at least for the
modules that aren't upgraded to 11-only over time).

ok, nevermind then, i just misunderstood - sorry.

Whether those parts can be tested to the same extent as now is another
question.  We can't just keep loading on infrastructure.  There will
need to be consideration of what needs testing where, and how.

yep. The php cluster uses up almost 2h on two nodes per PR push. Most of the rest does not look so bad in comparison. Taking a look at the tests or making php a conditional build in the workflow (e.g via PR labels*  or slash commands) would have the potential for big speedups.

* e.g: if: ${{ github.event.label.name == 'php' }} might work

regards,

michael