On 04.10.21 12:38, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 10:08, Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:
My proposal would be that 12.6 is the last release of Apache NetBeans
that supports building on JDK 8, ...
Also, I realise the other thing that needs to be considered there if
we're going to do this .. 12.6 is the first release to drop all uses
of JDK 8 for release builds, etc.?  We should probably make sure we're
ready for this on the infrastructure side while we can still fall back
to JDK 8 in an emergency?!

it has to be tested on 8, otherwise it will become incompatible fast. My understanding was that the minimum build JDK would be bumped to 11, so that selected 11-only modules can be built, but the requirement to run on 8 is *still* there.

it might be easier to invert the whole situation and keep building with 8, but only build/test the selected 11-only modules on 11+ nodes, until NB is *actually* able to drop support for 8.

-michael