On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 13:31, Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04.10.21 12:38, Neil C Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 10:08, Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> My proposal would be that 12.6 is the last release of Apache NetBeans
> >> that supports building on JDK 8, ...
> > Also, I realise the other thing that needs to be considered there if
> > we're going to do this .. 12.6 is the first release to drop all uses
> > of JDK 8 for release builds, etc.?  We should probably make sure we're
> > ready for this on the infrastructure side while we can still fall back
> > to JDK 8 in an emergency?!
>
> it has to be tested on 8, otherwise it will become incompatible fast. My
> understanding was that the minimum build JDK would be bumped to 11, so
> that selected 11-only modules can be built, but the requirement to run
> on 8 is *still* there.

I'm not sure anyone is saying otherwise right now? (at least for the
modules that aren't upgraded to 11-only over time).

Whether those parts can be tested to the same extent as now is another
question.  We can't just keep loading on infrastructure.  There will
need to be consideration of what needs testing where, and how.

The point above is that if we're proposing to drop support for
building on JDK 8 with 13(.0) then we should make sure we're using JDK
11 in 12.6 for all convenience binaries, etc. so that we're sure we're
ready for it.

I'd also point out that ASF releases sources.  More people are voting
based on building those sources with JDK 11 than JDK 8 already.