+1 for changing the default LAF to FlatLAF on Linux
-1 for changing the default LAF to FlatLAF on Windows and MacOS.

We have very good Windows and MacOS LAFs that match the native look of GUI
widgets (buttons, text fields, toolbars, tabs etc.). This is a big advantage of
NetBeans compared to IntelliJ and Eclipse.

The Windows and MacOS LAFs also now support HiDPI/Retina screens well,
including fractional scalings such as 150% on Windows. See the long list of
related improvements on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/HiDPI+%28Retina%29+improvements
 .

One Linux, however, FlatLAF seems to be strictly better than the default GTK
LAF. In particular, the GTK LAF does not support HiDPI screens well.

There are also some further improvements to FlatLAF proposed on
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3115 , which makes the tabs easier to
see, and more consistent with other main window borders. (These changes also
makes NetBeans look less like IntelliJ, which is probably a good thing from a
brand differentiation perspective. But usability was the main motivation here.)

(Be sure to consider the latest versions--there have been lots of improvements
in all three LAFs over the past few releases--FlatLAF, Windows, and MacOS. I
also see that the GTK LAF has had recent changes, e.g.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5862 .)

-- Eirik