On 03.02.22 12:39, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 at 20:20, Michael Bien <mbie...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree that there should be a warning dialog at the very least to
notify the user if a particular config (e.g running on JDK 18+) is not
supported and maybe explain the options from there. Contributions
welcome, would be great to add this to NB 14.
Linking two ongoing discussions a little ...  In
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5064 Jaroslav mentions
range dependencies in the context of plugins.

Enhancing the module system itself to support ranges might also be
good?  eg. if we can set an upper bound instead of just lower bound
for OpenIDE-Module-Java-Dependencies: this could disable the nb-javac
module when running on a later JDK.

I can imagine upper bounds for Java version having further use in future too!

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3206#issuecomment-951761594

thats exactly what i suggested, but I got the impression that this option was not desired. (maybe I got the wrong impression?)

the second best thing would be a warning dialog which explains the situation. (i have been focusing on the removal of dialogs this release, maybe we can add a new one next release to balance it out :))

-mbien