JDK `javac` drops support for old `-target` versions. E.g. version 11 can no
longer target 1.5 bytecode:

```
$ /jdk-11/bin/javac -source 1.5 -target 1.5 Hello.java
error: Source option 5 is no longer supported. Use 6 or later.
error: Target option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or later.
```

and such "dropping" constantly continues and happens all the time. For example
JDK-17 cannot target 1.6 anymore:

```
$ /jdk-17/bin/javac -source 1.6 -target 1.6 Hello.java
error: Source option 6 is no longer supported. Use 7 or later.
error: Target option 6 is no longer supported. Use 7 or later.
```

as a consequence one cannot use the latest JDK to build (not so old) versions
of NetBeans. This decay bugs me a lot.

I want to use JDK/JRE as a runtime (newest JDK can still run the 1.0 bytecode
format) and separate compiler from such runtime. Then the world is going to be
a better place.
-jt

Sidenote:
> I think Michael Bien answered this: "btw javac has actually a public API, it
> won't simply disappear from one release to the other without warning"

NetBeans use of `javac` goes far beyond its public API. I believe there is a
little relevance concluding the important aspects of javac remain based on
existence of some public API.