Just to be clear, there is no "hate" on my part.  I know the "tone" is hard
to communicate via email.  I just disagree that Java 8 support should
continue in the main codebase.
When I suggest that a Java 8 compatible fork is how to proceed, I wish you
all the best of success with it.  If you have that need I see no reason why
you shouldn't be able to pursue it.

I don't see the case for Java 8 going forward with new NB releases, and I
disagree that that main code should be muddied with any "ifs" to support
Java 8.  I just don't see that it is worth it.  In fact I see it as a net
negative to keep dragging out the life of Java 8.  We should
actively promote moving forward rather than staying in the past.  Draw the
line, maintain a Java 8 fork if necessary, keep the rest of the code Java
11+ with a policy that is clear about when that support will no longer be
guaranteed and how the minimum version is decided. Clean and simple.

This is particularly important for an open source project that needs to
attract developers.  Nobody *wants* to maintain ancient code.

Note that the one example we have been given so far of "Microchip IDE", if
it is what I think it is "MPLAB X IDE" (
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/tools-resources/develop/mplab-x-ide), then
it seems to have Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.04, macOs 10.15 as minimums.  Java
11 runs on those platforms, and a JRE has been distributed with the product
since 5.40.  So I continue to search for a real case for Java 8 support.

Scott