One strand that comes through in this discussion is that those that want to
continue JDK 8 should also be the owners of it.

It is clear that a level of exhaustion is being reached by the majority of
the core contributors of this project.

A bigger risk than us losing the ability to run projects dependent on JDK 8
is losing the majority of the community of collaborators who together have
been keeping us alive in Apache.

Gj