Le 27/02/2017 à 18:38, Neil C Smith a écrit :
> On 27 February 2017 at 16:02, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
>> My (own, unwritten) rule in Apache projects is to move things to the
>> dev list as soon as they go beyond the level of a coffee machine
>> discussion - and when they do, restart the discussions here stating
>> what happened at the coffee machine.
> I understand what Wade said about this case, but I'd very much like to
> reiterate the importance of "restart the discussions here stating what
> happened".  Unless we have a benefactor with some seriously deep
> pockets, we're stuck with the free edition of Slack, which has a
> limited archive - and the more we discuss the shorter the archive!
> I'm involved with another Slack community where this is starting to
> become an annoying limitation, and some key conversations get
> forgotten.
>
> If it's a conversation method that works for us, we might consider an
> open-source self-hosted option?  eg. something like Mattermost, etc.

I would strongly suggest you have any technical discussion on the
project mailing list. Slack, or whatever real-time system is excluding
people, and should be avoided.

Sooner or later you are going to have committers from any TZ, and it's
impossible for someone in Australia, for instance, to cope with a
discussion occuring on ETZ.

As Bertrand said, if it's a very simple discussion between peers, that
could be fine, but as soon as it get deeper - and it almost always get
deeper -, then it belongs to the mailing list. The problem is that it's
quite hard to switch from Slack to the Mailing list...

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org