> On Mar 1, 2017, at 23:50, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>

> And I wouldn't use such channels for feature discussion or even announcing
> what I will work on next. I.e. "Can it be forgotten tomorrow, and we are
> just as wise?”

Sure, my point on working on a feature from the perspective of Slack is that
there are conversations on the list and even in Jira that happen in the right
time and place, and that Slack is a good utility when a small group working on
said feature is actually banging out on the keyboard the things from those
mediums. Often people plan to work on things at the exact same time, even
across timezones, as we in the NB community have done many times including
using Google Docs to edit a shared document in real time.

As an example, I do not think we can even say the lists are the best place to
search for the best way to do something necessarily as a community
responsibility is to put knowledge deficits in an FAQ or official documentation
which we see raised and discussed on lists; an official merger of possibly
right, wrong, half right, and half wrong answers that tend to popup on lists; a
hallmark of Apache projects and NetBeans to me has been good documentation. If
on the list, it will be searchable, but getting to that specific email can
often be difficult, and if not transitioned to documentation and organized
remains in an non-optimal place, and thus each and every tool has its better
usages and use cases, and just want that to be the focus and clear.

> End of the day, if you don't take our advice, the project will
> die. And ASF as a whole will carry on, no big deal.

I agree with most of what you have written Niclas, but I think this one is a
little strong, and you may not have meant it to be. I mean, NB has been around
for quite a long time as well, and we have a functioning and strong community,
and we have used various dynamic tools similar to Slack to achieve different
aspects of what we have done, even to the point of actively working together to
focus on growing our community in dynamic IRC discussions. I agree we should
all strongly consider yours and others advice however, and we should everyone
consider the nuances of one another’s views.

I’m sure similar things I’m suggesting happen with Apache now in different
capacities and mediums such as BarCamps as well as when a project is being
discussed behind the scenes with someone who will essentially sponsor it when
it comes time to incubate, and those type things seem good examples and use
cases of such things which are quite dynamic to only the people there, at that
time, before the dynamics come in some form to a wider audience.

Just to stress it; I’m merely suggesting different mediums can be used in
different ways to help grow the community and work together, and want to be
sure we collectively see the value in the differences versus leaving an air
that one is bad or not useful, and knowing when and where to use what is the
most important aspect.

> And this mail is not
> bearing judgment on whether any of this has been done incorrectly, I simply
> don't know. It is just a general advice, food for thought, because I hope
> that Netbeans will become a flagship project at ASF.

Understood and agree. I also hope that for NetBeans as well. I also hope it is
a good component of a dev tools track at next years Apache Confs :-) I sadly
can’t make this years as I already had budget set aside for other conferences.

Thanks everyone,

Wade