What I generally avoid on macOS are .pkg installers. I prefer apps that run
from the start and don't need installing. DMG is perfect for that. A ZIP
would also do I guess although it doesn't feel macOS-native.

In 14 years Macs CPUs have gotten much better and NetBeans has stagnated in
terms of system demands. So I doubt the impact is that much even if the IDE
was executed straight from the DMG.

--emi