-1 (non-binding)

Builds and checkouts out ok, but 3 of 4 systems I tried fail in
KafkaPublisherTest unit tests with Java 7 and Java 8.  Details and sample
results are included below.

The tests appear to handle ConsumerTimeoutException when it is expected,
but the very first call to ConsumerIterator.next() appears to fail and that
is unchecked.

Note: I also think KafkaPublisherTest should use sample text that is not
copyrighted or possibly considered offensive.

* builds and tests ok on Centos 6.7 with Java 7

* tests fail on 3 systems in KafkaPublisherTest

     * OSX 10.11.4 (El Capitan), i7-2635QM @ 2.0 GHz, 8GB
          * Maven 3.3.9
          * JDK1.7.0_51 TestGetHTTP.testExpressionLanguage():433 and others
fail with "java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument"
                in Apache HTTP SessionInputBufferImpl.streamRead():139.
          * JDK1.7.0_80
KafkaPublisherTest.valudateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2():140 and others
error out with "kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException".
          * JDK1.8.0_77
KafkaPublisherTest.valudateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2():140 and others
error out with "kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException".

     * Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf), i7-4720HQ @ 2.6 GHz, 16GB
          * Maven 3.3.3
          * JDK1.7.0_80
KafkaPublisherTest.valudateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2():140 and other test
error out with "kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException".

     * Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf), i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz, 16GB
          * JDK1.7.0_80
KafkaPublisherTest.valudateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2():140 and other test
error out with "kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException".
          * JDK1.8.0_77
KafkaPublisherTest.valudateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2():140 and other test
error out with "kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException".

 T E S T S
Running org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest
Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 5, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 701.885 sec
<<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest
validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest)
Time elapsed: 185.158 sec  <<< ERROR!
kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException: null
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:69)
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:33)
        at
kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.maybeComputeNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:66)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.hasNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:58)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.next(IteratorTemplate.scala:38)
        at kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.next(ConsumerIterator.scala:46)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2(KafkaPublisherTest.java:140)

validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest)
Time elapsed: 245.077 sec  <<< ERROR!
kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException: null
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:69)
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:33)
        at
kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.maybeComputeNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:66)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.hasNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:58)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.next(IteratorTemplate.scala:38)
        at kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.next(ConsumerIterator.scala:46)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited(KafkaPublisherTest.java:114)

validateSuccessfulReSendOfFailedSegments(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest)
Time elapsed: 125.07 sec  <<< ERROR!
kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException: null
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:69)
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:33)
        at
kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.maybeComputeNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:66)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.hasNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:58)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.next(IteratorTemplate.scala:38)
        at kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.next(ConsumerIterator.scala:46)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulReSendOfFailedSegments(KafkaPublisherTest.java:167)

validateWithMultiByteCharacters(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest)
Time elapsed: 65.09 sec  <<< ERROR!
kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException: null
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:69)
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:33)
        at
kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.maybeComputeNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:66)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.hasNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:58)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.next(IteratorTemplate.scala:38)
        at kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.next(ConsumerIterator.scala:46)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharacters(KafkaPublisherTest.java:195)

validateSuccessfulSendAsWhole(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest)
Time elapsed: 65.076 sec  <<< ERROR!
kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException: null
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:69)
        at
kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.makeNext(ConsumerIterator.scala:33)
        at
kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.maybeComputeNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:66)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.hasNext(IteratorTemplate.scala:58)
        at kafka.utils.IteratorTemplate.next(IteratorTemplate.scala:38)
        at kafka.consumer.ConsumerIterator.next(ConsumerIterator.scala:46)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsWhole(KafkaPublisherTest.java:92)

Running org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka
Tests run: 6, Failures: 4, Errors: 0, Skipped: 2, Time elapsed: 288.48 sec
<<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka
testComplexRightPartialDelimitedMessages(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka)
Time elapsed: 63.071 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Expected all Transferred FlowFiles to go to
success but 1 were routed to failure
        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.MockProcessSession.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(MockProcessSession.java:985)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:312)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:324)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka.testComplexRightPartialDelimitedMessages(TestPutKafka.java:204)

testComplexPartialMatchDelimitedMessages(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka)
Time elapsed: 60.005 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Expected all Transferred FlowFiles to go to
success but 1 were routed to failure
        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.MockProcessSession.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(MockProcessSession.java:985)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:312)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:324)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka.testComplexPartialMatchDelimitedMessages(TestPutKafka.java:248)

testWithEmptyMessages(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka)  Time
elapsed: 30.004 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException:
Failed to update metadata after 30000 ms.
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.run(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:238)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.run(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:197)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.run(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:192)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.run(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:187)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka.testWithEmptyMessages(TestPutKafka.java:174)
Caused by: org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to
update metadata after 30000 ms.

testComplexLeftPartialDelimitedMessages(org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka)
Time elapsed: 120.009 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Expected all Transferred FlowFiles to go to
success but 1 were routed to failure
        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.MockProcessSession.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(MockProcessSession.java:985)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:312)
        at
org.apache.nifi.util.StandardProcessorTestRunner.assertAllFlowFilesTransferred(StandardProcessorTestRunner.java:324)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestPutKafka.testComplexLeftPartialDelimitedMessages(TestPutKafka.java:225)

Running org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestGetKafka
Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 1, Time elapsed: 0 sec - in
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.TestGetKafka
Running org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.SplittableMessageContextTest
Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0 sec - in
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.SplittableMessageContextTest

Results :

Failed tests:
  TestPutKafka.testComplexLeftPartialDelimitedMessages:225 Expected all
Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
  TestPutKafka.testComplexPartialMatchDelimitedMessages:248 Expected all
Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
  TestPutKafka.testComplexRightPartialDelimitedMessages:204 Expected all
Transferred FlowFiles to go to success but 1 were routed to failure
  TestPutKafka.testWithEmptyMessages:174
org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to update metadata
after 30000 ms.

Tests in error:
  KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulReSendOfFailedSegments:167 »
ConsumerTimeout
  KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited:114 » ConsumerTimeout
  KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsDelimited2:140 »
ConsumerTimeout
  KafkaPublisherTest.validateSuccessfulSendAsWhole:92 » ConsumerTimeout
  KafkaPublisherTest.validateWithMultiByteCharacters:195 » ConsumerTimeout