The OSX system passed the tests switching to a different network.  Putting
it back on the problem network and checking KafkaPublisherTest-output.txt I
see repeated occurrences of the following. (fat fingered, ignore any
obvious typos)

     17:01:59,225  WARN kafka-producer-network-thread | producer-2
network.Selector:276 - Error in I/O with /0.0.0.0
     java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable

Crazier still, the Ubuntu system I moved to the old network still fails
with messages like this.

     17:01:59,225  WARN kafka-producer-network-thread | producer-2
network.Selector:276 - Error in I/O with /0.0.0.0
     java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host

There's obviously some network issue on the new router, possibly routing or
DNS, but I've never had these kind of problems on the old router and one
system passes and one fails on the new router.

I'm trying to track it further but unless binding to 0.0.0.0 is new, this
looks like a problem on my end.