Thanks for running this all down Joe/Aldrin/Oleg.  I think Joe's
suggestion of having a test which checks for this sort of environment
condition and fails with a nice explanation would be really nice.

It looks like Oleg fixed the copyright concerns by removing the lines
which appear to have been unused.  Will get that merged and kick of an
RC2 later tonight or early tomorrow.