Russell,

There is some documentation in the wiki [1] and JIRA [2] for this effort.
The short/quick answer was introducing flatter design elements and vector
based graphics to better promote responsiveness and address some of the
more dated aspects of the 0.x UI. Additionally, relocating a number of
controls to address concerns around multi-tenancy and prepare for other
future enhancements.

Thanks!

Matt

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Redesign+User+Interface