Ftp or just a zip is fine. The media can be mixed with the pages or not.
However it's setup now should be fine. This is what I need from the docs of
the first converter stage.

<!--
    Points to the directory where your DokuWiki articles are located. There
is
    no need to point to the original DokuWiki pages, it may be just a copy
of
    them.
    Note: Use absolute path names, not relative ones.
    Example: /home/user/dw_articles_copy
    -->
    <pages_root_dir value="/home/user/wiki_raw_data/pages" />

    <!--
    Points to the directory where your DokuWiki media files are located.
There
    is no need to point to the original DokuWiki media files, it may be
just a
    copy of them.
    Note: Use absolute path names, not relative ones.
    Example: /home/user/dw_media_copy
    -->
    <media_root_dir value="/home/user/wiki_raw_data/media" />

--Brennan