On 12/17/19, Gregory Nutt <spudan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  I understand better now.
>
> This is very specific to this hardware.    I don't think this should
> involve the graphics system in such a device-specific way since this is
> a hardware interfacing issue that has nothing to with graphics other
> than a graphics device is involved.  There are easy hacks or complex
> architectural changes to accomplish what you want to do.
>
> For easy hacks, I would suggest a minimal, trivial device driver that
> just supports the the FBIO_UPDATE command (and any other command unique
> to the hardware).  This driver would have to lie in the board-specific
> logic or else have an SPI interface passed to it during initialization.
> Or maybe a boardctl(BOARDIOC_IOCTL) command.
>
> If you wanted to support a graphics driver interface via NX, that is
> okay too.  But we would have to do that right, that is, in a
> device-independent, platform-independent, general way.
>
> A better functional partitioning would be to have this hardware-specific
> functionality implemented inside of the LCD driver, rather than in some
> hack character driver or BOARDIOC_IOCTL.   There is, however, no LCD
> driver interface exposed to the application; the LCD driver interface is
> only available to NX.  I suppose it would be possible to add to an
> ioctl() method to every LCD (or FB) driver and and nx_ioctl() method to
> communicate and device-specific commands with the driver.  But that
> would be a pretty big effort (but a worthwhile contribution).  I would
> help on that one; the other, simpler ideas are basically hacks that
> could give you the functionality you need.  A generic graphics hardware
> IOCTL command would besystematic and general and common to all graphics
> devices.

Let's to follow the usual steps: how does Linux kernel implement the
e-Ink/ePaper driver?

Amazon developed the Kindle (their Lab126) more than 10 years ago and
it uses Linux since its inception. So I think there is a well defined
way to do it.

Well, I didn't find much information about it, but only an old
instruction to this subject:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2289160/kernel-space--e-paper-support-for-linux.html

BR,

Alan