If it is not too device specific, I can put it on a branch and we can haggle through the details before merging it to master.
I think your original proposal for nx_updatedisplay() would be okay if  it were renamed and took three arguments like:

int nx_synch(NXWINDOW hwnd, int cmd, unsigned long arg)

it would be prototyped in include/nuttx/nx/nx.h and there would probably need to be a new include/nuttx/nx/nx_ioctl.h to hold IOCTL commands and structures.

These are things I can help with.

Greg

Yes, I already did some name changes because they were too close to already used terms. Let me build this strawman and then we've got something to work from.

Regards

DAVE