Linux uses Xorg for graphics.  So if this feature is supported in Linux, then I think it would be through Xorg?  The NX server is the tiny, moral equivalent of the XServer.

This is interesting: https://hackaday.com/2018/08/14/run-a-linux-terminal-on-cheap-e-ink-displays/ The interface is written in Python: https://github.com/joukos/PaperTTY but I don't really see anything of interest.

I see a lot of references to "deferred IO" with ePaper devices. AFAIK deferred IO is basically what drivers/lcd/lcd_framebuffer.c does:  If buffers all writes to the device in a framebuffer.  You could then force the framebuffer dump to hardware using the FBIO_UPDATE ioctl in drivers/video/fb.c

Sorry... a half hour of Googling did not answer the question for me.

I'm not aware of any 'standard' interfaces. Most of the code I've seen is hackup bits and pieces, but there's no way I'm going to build a whole parallel ecosystem when we've got all the juicy stuff to hand...provided we don't break anything to use it!

For interest, you can see the sort of modules I'm using at https://www.buydisplay.com/default/e-paper-display-module-e-ink-display-kit-manufacturers/2-7-inch

So, I think the path here is that I'll tidy up what I've done and then I'll submit it for comment and kickabout, and see where we go from there.

Regards

DAVE