At one point I suggested that maybe we could used the non-Apache NuttX repository to do workflow development since would not restrict access to the key player, Haitao Liu.

An option might be to mirror that incubator-nuttx* repositories at github.com/NuttX.  Haitao does have access there.  That might be a good open proving ground for workflow changes.  Good workflow fixes could then be pulled into github/apache/NuttX.

Now I am wondering if this might not also be a good place to move some of the 3rd party software in apps/ (nuttx/ 3rd party code is minimal and not so modular that it could be easily extracted). incubator-nuttx-apps would be reduced to a build environment with most applications installable at build time from github.com/NuttX.

It is premature to decide since SGAs may not be required anyway. But let's see how that goes.  This is one option that can go on the list.