With many people on the PPMC taking responsibility for any issues that come in
I don’t see that they would be ignored, unless the PPMC is not acting as a
PPMC. Other committers  and contributors can alas help out and that’s one way
you grow your community and get more committers / PPMC members.

Historically, that has been the case -- Issues are ignored.  But that was only me managing the project.  I think we can do better with a team.

The issues tend to be very hardware specific to someone's particular MCU, particular driver, and particular board.  Seldom are there broad systematic issues reported.  There are issues reported in the repository issues lists only a few times per year, but that may also change.

Re which tool to use, which one are your users likely to use. From previous
discussion I don’t think many would have used git issues, but I’m not sure than
many would be familiar with JIRA.

The majority problem reports .. well over 90% ... are recieved via email.  Sometimes several today.  If some knowledgeable person is online, they may respond with some help.  But most go unanswered because no one has an answer to offer.