On 2022-01-19 19:40, TimH wrote:
FAT seems broken for NOR flash devices. Spent days getting nowhere.

Since FAT and flash devices don't really play well together anyway (already found s512 erases a flash sector at least 4 times when writing a cluster), so I'm wondering, in parallel, if NuttX has other tricks up its sleeve that might achieve the same end? I want t:

- write to the flash, for logging, from the app running on the board. This can be done with any FS - or raw - as far as I'm concerned. Not the issue.

- an external PC (ideally Linux, Windows and MAC) needs to be able "see" the data via USB (msd) and read/write to the memory (log data, config files, audio files, etc). Hence FAT.

With a flash size of between 32 and 128Mbyte, I don't think a ramdisk formatted as FAT holding a copy of the flash data is really the way to go (board only has 64Mbyte RAM anyway).

I'm guessing I'll have to keep up the battle - that NuttX is winning - of FAT vs. NOR flash until the bitter end, but if anyone does have other ideas I'm listening!

Why the fixation for MSD mode and FAT?
Using a serial stream protocol also could access the files in a transparent matter.
I remember the days of KERMIT, ZMODEM, CP, etc., over a serial link.
Making the device appear as an NDIS network adapter also allows e.g. FTP to transfer files.

Arie