On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 9:46 AM Gregory Nutt <spudan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could we simplify the options before a vote be discussing the
> possibilities that you have listed with INFRA?

Okay, I did that, and I have received responses from Infra that are
quite helpful:

(1) Infra requires repos to be named ${project}-${reponame} because of
technical reasons related to LDAP. (This was not previously documented,
but a note has been added to [1] in response to my question.)

(2) If we don't request otherwise, Infra will by default simply remove
"incubator-" from our repo names, so we would get:

* https://github.com/apache/nuttx
* https://github.com/apache/nuttx-apps

(3) When renaming repos, Infra is careful to preserve our existing
stars and forks. (They can, upon request, archive the repos and create
new ones, which would lose the existing stars and forks, but we
definitely don't want that!!!!!)

Additional note: I looked through the list of Apache repos at [2] (all
81 pages of them!!) and none had underscores or CamelCase.

So, bottom line, it looks like the name 'nuttx-apps' is pretty much set
in stone (unless we want to change 'apps' to something else), and
regarding the main repo, it could be one of the following (I'm just
including the items that were suggested earlier):

* nuttx
* nuttx-core
* nuttx-rtos
* nuttx-kernel
* nuttx-${something}

So that narrows down what we need to decide, which should make our
lives easier. :-)

[1] https://infra.apache.org/project-repo-policy.html

[2] https://github.com/orgs/apache/repositories

I have permission to share this reply verbatim:

[[[

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 1:33 PM fluxo <c...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Nov 20, 2022, at 9:20 AM, Nathan Hartman <hartmannat...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Over in NuttX-land, we just graduated the Incubator and are having a
> > community-wide discussion [1] regarding what to name our repositories.
> >
> > We're *not* ready to rename them yet, since there is still a debate
> > going on.
> >
> > Rather, I'm writing only to ask some questions so we can narrow down
> > our choices:
> >
> > (1) Does Infra have a convention or preference on the use of hyphens,
> > underscores, CamelCase, for repo names, i.e., are any of these
> > preferred, not allowed, etc:
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/nuttx/nuttx-apps
> > https://github.com/apache/nuttx/nuttx_apps
> > https://github.com/apache/nuttx/NuttXApps
> >
> > (2) Is it possible to put our repos in a subdirectory, e.g.,
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/nuttx/nuttx
> > https://github.com/apache/nuttx/apps
>
> Congratulations on your graduation!
>
> The Infra convention requires project repos to be named with the convention
> of $project-$reponame in order to map the project LDAP group to the
> permissions scheme.
>
> Examples for the above would thus be:
>
> https://github.com/apache/nuttx
> https://github.com/apache/nuttx-apps
>
> When the time comes, please open an Infra Jira ticket to rename your
> repositories, considering the aforementioned naming scheme. We can do so in a
> way that preserves the existing stars/forks and redirects the old name. If
> you wish to start anew you may also do that by creating new repos via
> https://selfserve.apache.org/ and Infra can archive the old incubator repos.
>
> Do be careful if you file the incubator -> TLP ticket that without knowledge
> of your desires for renaming, Infra would simply remove 'incubator-' from the
> name of the repo(s).
>
> Up to you(r project.)
>
> > (Background info: In our pre-Incubator days, the repos were called
> > 'nuttx' and 'apps'.)
> >
> > (3) If there is a repo naming convention, is it documented somewhere
> > that I can share with our mailing list?
>
> It's documented insofar as much as selfserve will only allow the creation of
> repos following the pattern I mentioned.
>
> -fluxo (Chris)
> ASF Infra
>

> > Thank you very much,
> > Nathan