Including the doubling of characters and momentary display of some
characters which seem to change rapidly?

That probably comes from NSH.  I think it still sends an escape sequence to clear to the end of the line.  So any additional garbage at the end after the first four characters would only be present momentarily.

But things are changing rapidly, obviously more rapidly than can be tested.  So I would have to studly the nshlib code again to see what it is doing today.

So do you think that that last release was too shaky?  Should there be a bugfix release for that one?