Tim,

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I am confident that I can process patches to my own sandbox faster than the OFBiz committers can process patches to OFBiz.

Maybe it's because I am becoming an OFBiz addict that I work on it tirelessly and relentlessly? I don't know.

And also, for some reason that escapes me, my commits seem to be more tested and less unsettling than some of OFBiz's.

Maybe it's because I don't have 10 paying clients to serve at once.

Or maybe I do understand the OFBiz framework enough to be able to do a "OFBiz-wide grep or other scan" in order to check whether my patches break stuff. Sort of like what a good IDE will do, probably. But I'm always stone-age, stick to simple tools (with good mind map).

There's still this need to put together stable audited releases. I'm sort of doing that with my personal "sandbox" on my harddisk.

I can't guarantee I can do the same if I'm a committer in OFBiz myself.

Jonathon

Tim Ruppert wrote:
I know this sounds overly simplified, but someone please explain to me why this doesn't work:

1. Someone - let's say Chris has a great idea for a new project
2. He creates a JIRA issue describing it
3. He attaches an initial patch
4. Someone else - let's say Daniel decides that he wants to contribute to this effort and downloads the patch 5. He makes some improvements, so he updates the existing patch as well as adds another patch containing additional data
6. Chris downloads it and makes some mods and reposts.

Now, to me this doesn't seem that crazy - and is totally legal. And . . . just so you know - replace Chris with Tim and Daniel with either Anil or Ashish and you have EXACTLY what happened with the anonymous checkout process!

This shouldn't be this hard guys. My suggestion would be to TRY one of these in this format and if you can't do it this way - THEN let's try and address it. A separately maintained sandbox is absolutely no different than managing patches - since both have to deal with integration back into the OFBiz trunk in some form or fashion. Personally, I think the patches will be EASIER to maintain because they will allow you to make changes to existing code in an easier, more trackable format. The alternative would be for you to maintain a sandbox - AND patches for updates to the source - doesn't that sound MORE tedious?

Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramble.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert