The maincss.css file "second pass" was committed over the weekend (thank you Jacopo). Many thanks to Jacopo, Chris Howe, Jacques Le Roux, and Christian Geisert for their advice and evaluations.

The new maincss.css file doesn't add anything to the styles. The purpose of this pass was to standardize the color and size assignments. The unintentional positive side effect is the UI is now scalable. Try it for yourself - change your browser's default font size and watch the UI adjust accordingly.

You might notice some minor font size changes with the new style sheet. An explanation is at the end of this message.

I uploaded some screen shots to the sandbox Jira issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-633) to benefit those who don't have time to try out the experimental patches.

I will continue to work on the new CSS styles. If you're interested in knowing what that's all about, check out the latest experimental_x.patch file in OFBIZ-633. If anyone has any CSS style ideas they would like to contribute, please feel free to do so in that Jira issue.

I'm trying to have the latest version of maincss.css ready in time for the developers conference. If there is any interest in the UI refactor initiative at the conference, then the foundation will be in place. Otherwise, we can tackle this after the conference.

Why the fonts look different in the new style sheet

In the old style sheet, font size assignments were not consistent. Some were in pixels, others were in points. The purpose of this change to the style sheet was to standardize on one method of specifying font sizes. After some discussion, the decision was made to use ems.

Here's the problem: If one assignment says

font-size: 10px;

and another one says

font-size: 10pt;

what was the intention of the original authors? Did the 10pt author mean 10px? Did the 10px author mean 10pt? 10 px and 10 pt are two different sizes.

So, I used the following formulas to convert both sizes:

px * 0.1 = em
pt * 0.1375 = em

which closely approximated the existing appearance. There are some slight differences due to rounding. That's why some fonts appear slightly different.

If you spot any large or intolerable differences, then please let me know. I will be sure to correct them.