Adrian,

first of all thanks for your effort. Please see my comments inline.

Adrian Crum wrote:
The latest version of the maincss.css file has been submitted to Jira (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-754). The latest version still contains the old classes but now it includes new ones.

The new classes follow the OFBiz CSS Best Practices. They are designed to style HTML element collections (or compounds). The Jira issue contains an overview of the HTML collections they style.

It would be helpful to have a few people apply this patch to their local copy and try it out just to be sure everything still works okay.

I did it but now the forms in the party application are a bit ugly (I've mentioned it in another post) but most of all the existing forms in the other components seem to have lost all their styles.
Am I missing something?

The widgets have been refactored to utilize the new CSS classes by rendering the appropriate HTML element collections (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-671). In addition, the widgets have been designed to default to certain styles so that the defaults don't need to be specified in the widget xml files. If a unique style is needed, then the defaults can be overridden.

I'm working on preparing a pdf document that provides step-by-step instructions on how to refactor the UI. It will be arranged in a way that will help anyone who wants to contribute. My hope is that we can fly through the widget xml files and freemarker ftl files and get this effort behind us in short order.

wouldn't be a wiki page more appropriate and easy to manage?
docs.ofbiz.org

Jacopo

Looking to the future -

I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing OFBIZ-754 and OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the Party Manager component as a test bed for the UI refactoring initiative, and even though that work is nearly done, I'm still finding ways to improve the main style sheet and widgets. Bottom line is, they aren't fully cooked.

From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another contributor take on one of the other components and start refactoring it using the new style sheet and widgets. They can see if there is anything lacking in the new versions and improve upon what I've done so far (if necessary). When they give a nod of approval, then we can get the new style sheet and widgets committed to the project.

If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.