Chris Howe wrote:
In regards to the parent thread...
Because of the "black boxiness" of jar use, shouldn't there be an
actual _reason to add, update, or delete a jar that relates to how it's
used in the community project?

In my opinion it would be great if we could stay up-to-date with the latest stable release, even if we don't have particular issues with the older jars (the reasons are that newer releases are generally better than older ones, you can get more support in case of problems, and sometimes continuous small upgrades are less expensive than big ones).

However I know it's not always possible, mainly for two reasons:
1) jars interdependencies
2) lack of resources in the community (updating and testing could take a lot of time)

If there's a feature desired, an important bug addressed, or noticeable
increased efficiency, then great, we should vote on upgrading. However, I don't think it's necessarily wise to be updating for updating sake. Especially given the number of external dependencies Apache OFBiz has

I don't think that the issue of dependencies external to the Apache OFBiz project is a big one... if someone is building an external application he should pick the jars to use and not rely on the ones distributed with OFBiz.

For example, if it is true that the MinML2.jar is no more used by OFBiz (both framework and applications) we should really remove it. If someone has built a custom component based on the MinML2.jar (?) he will have to package the jar in its own custom component and we have no way to prevent this from happening.