David E. Jones wrote:

On Apr 9, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

The goal for all ofbiz tools is to do 90% of what you need efficiently and generically and quickly, not 100% of what you need pooy. The form wigdet is not and never will be html or fill the same need.

The funny thing about the widgets is, they make complex tasks simple, and at the same time they make simple tasks complex. In my opinion, the widgets get a C in doing 90% of what I need efficiently.

So, what sort of thing are you looking for to meet your particular  needs?

-David

Here's an example:

That modification has little to do with the original message in this thread, but it demonstrates how I believe the widgets can be improved upon to make simple tasks simple.

Then there is the example I gave earlier of wanting to assign IDs and styles to certain widgets. At the time it had been suggested to wrap the widget in a container, then assign an ID and a style to the container. I chose to improve the widget instead.

So, little things that should be simple and straightforward are sometimes complicated or impossible.

Another example: Screenlets are common repetitive visual elements in OFBiz. To compose a screenlet using the screen widgets takes a lot of XML code. So, bottom line, a simple task is made complicated. I would like to develop a screenlet widget - that would render a screenlet from a few attributes. Before I get started on that though, I would like to clean up the existing widget java code. That's what prompted this thread.