Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
Ean,

I agree that the branch-explore-prune strategy is wickedly rapid, for quick prototyping and cultivation of "best of breed" directions.

With multiple official/public OFBiz branches, each branch can be more specialized to cater more tightly to particular user groups.

This would be done better with add-in components than with branches, or forks,
or intended branches that turn into forks.

For things that need to be changed in the OFBiz framework or base applications
patches should be submitted (or a committer working on it should just put them
in). These would tend to be smaller and go in more quickly.

Then David or Undersun could oversee all the official branches, and pick up best of breed ideas to be merged back into main OFBiz SVN. Yes, they'll need more hires for this, possibly. And they are busy enough already. Note that without this step, each fork will simply do their own dances and end up duplicating each others' functionalities over time. Wasteful.

Ummm... not sure where this idea came from...

Neither "David" nor "Undersun" (now part of Hotwax Media) nor any other person
or organization are some central source of resources or driving force for the project. OFBiz is
overseen by a PMC (project management committee) but everything that goes into OFBiz is contributed
by users.

So no, this would never work. There is no central organization to pull stuff
into the project, just users to push stuff into the project. That's the WHOLE
point of a community driven project that facilitates collaboration.

Of course, this is also impossible with current forks like opentaps and Neogia
because they specifically structure their licensing and copyright ownership so
that it is impossible to bring the contributions back into OFBiz.

Note that packaging of the forks is very important to facilitate easy reconciliation! Ideally, each fork should only contain files that are specialized, and not files that duplicate core OFBiz parts.

See the comments about components above.

Each fork manager should be responsible for removing specialized components that have been merged back into main OFBiz SVN, to keep forks lean.

Again this can be avoided by focusing on add-ons combined with patches that go
into OFBiz sooner and easier.

Personally, I have several forks by now, each catering to an individual customer. I package the forks with this policy: "strictly no duplication of core OFBiz". All my SVN repos are lean, minimalistic, containing only specialized files. This makes it very easy for me to update from OFBiz SVN (the Undersun one) to any of my forks.

Ummm... there is no Undersun SVN except the pre-ASF SVN repo that is no longer
active. It's the Apache Software Foundation SVN server we use for OFBiz.

I don't think people understand just how incorrect and harmful to the project
this sort of thought is. If it isn't community driven people and organizations
won't be as interested in contributing and the whole project will fall apart.
It's a vicious and damaging lie! For anyone thinking this please check your
facts and motives!

-David