Ean Schuessler wrote:
On Tuesday 11 September 2007 06:23:36 pm David E Jones wrote:
Now who's being defensive? ;) And what I wrote wasn't even a reply to your
email...

Whatever the case, I stated the lie and then said it was such, I wasn't
quoting from anyone, though I think the reply was to Jonathon and we have a
nice long history and being harsh with each other (again ;) ). It's great
to have you around Jonathon, you bring up lots of good issues in these
little high level threads.

There is some good stuff in what you're saying Ean, and I totally agree
that different people and organizations will find different ways of
collaborating with the community that works best for them. I'm just trying
to describe and encourage (like in the contributors best practices page)
the ones that seem to result in the most contributions coming into the
project AND the most benefit and feedback going back to the contributor.

My perception is definitely limited though, and I know it very well, so for
whatever anyone is doing if it's working well for you then there's no
reason to change. If it's not working so well then I invite people to take
a look at stuff that will help them, but that may not seem so obvious, and
may in fact seem like a waste of time, and that is trying to get as much as
possible into the open source project and collaborating with others in the
community as you do so (well, that's the short/simple version, more verbose
in the contributors best practices page).

You know perfectly well that I can't resist toying with something as incindiary as the phrase "a vicious damaging lie". After all, Debian is my alma mater. TINC!

:)