On Tuesday 11 September 2007 03:22:24 am David E Jones wrote:
> Ummm... not sure where this idea came from...
>
> Neither "David" nor "Undersun" (now part of Hotwax Media) nor any other
> person or organization are some central source of resources or driving
> force for the project. OFBiz is overseen by a PMC (project management
> committee) but everything that goes into OFBiz is contributed by users.
>
> So no, this would never work. There is no central organization to pull
> stuff into the project, just users to push stuff into the project. That's
> the WHOLE point of a community driven project that facilitates
> collaboration.
>
> Of course, this is also impossible with current forks like opentaps and
> Neogia because they specifically structure their licensing and copyright
> ownership so that it is impossible to bring the contributions back into
> OFBiz.
[snip]
> I don't think people understand just how incorrect and harmful to the
> project this sort of thought is. If it isn't community driven people and
> organizations won't be as interested in contributing and the whole project
> will fall apart. It's a vicious and damaging lie! For anyone thinking this
> please check your facts and motives!

Don't be so defensive! There is a big difference between a vicious lie and a
widespread misconception. Hotwax has more committers than anyone else so its
easy to see why people might think something like this. If I was a
dangerously motivated liar I would do more than simply state the obvious!

Anyway, my main point was about the benefit of using a more modern and
distributed source management system for things that aren't ready to go into
SVN. Brainfood would rather make extensive changes to our local repository
and pool them up into change sets that go to mainstream. Repeated merges
where portions have been partially applied in multiple paths of development
isn't a workflow that is well supported by SVN but is easy (or way easier,
anyway) under GIT and Mercurial.

ps. Check your facts and motives before calling someone a vicious, damaging
liar.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[EMAIL PROTECTED]