As you say plenty of good points so rather than repeat lengthy arguments
for or against I'll keep it simple and just say I don't think it should
be described as a bug as it was implemented this way. Bad choice maybe
but it's a feature change.

Having said that I do think it should be seriously considered for the
release branch because of it's small footprint and improvement on a very
weak and insecure area.

Ray