Ok, I'm just speaking from a business perspective here. Obviously, from developer's perspective, it's good to put that enchancement into release 4.0. I agree that this is not a fix, but an enhancement.

First, it's cool to be able to tell clients that a new release (after 4.0) fixes a problem with clear passwords being shown. So, I'm for rolling that enhancement into the next release (say 4.1?). Oh yeah, we do agree that upgrading along the 4.x family should involve zero migration effort, right?

That said, it should be obvious that my hope is to have release 4.0 stabilized asap, and free up resources to package and roll out the next release. If we're not gonna be fast and rapid about the release timeframe, then getting stuck with 4.0 for a long time (say a year?) and stuck with this problem is not fun.

Next, I also agree that we cannot dilute the meaning of "bug", and start throwing in seemingly harmless and super-stable enhancements into the release branches. Take no chances. I do agree that this particular enhancement should be simple and superficial enough to be harmless. But for the sake of audit and organization and management, bug fix and enhancement should be handled as clearly distinct categories.

Finally, I'd like to suggest a little trick we often do with such deal-breaker "bugs" (ie, "bugs" for which we say "it's a feature!"). Releases like 4.x (where x > 1) can include such enhancements. Sort of like "hotfixes" for release branch 4.

Will that mean maintaining 2 branches (4.0 and 4.1), and having to apply any new patches to all members of the 4.x family? Yes! But... it's not difficult. We need to make sure that all members of the 4.x family are fully compatible with each other, ie enhancements being thrown in are truly harmless and superficial enough that each 4.x member is very largely similar (not fundamentally overhauled). In short, all enhancements thrown into the 4.x family must *not* make it less than super-easy to apply bug fixes uniformly to all members. A bug fix to 4.x must be applicable to 4.y without any transformation.

Hope that helps?

I'd also like to bring in some marketing and sales perspectives. When we market our clients' products, we need to create buzz or activity. Having very regular and frequent releases along the 4.x family makes it tangibly known that OFBiz is super-active and is improving at breakneck speed.

Jonathon

David E Jones wrote:

I'd prefer not to dilute the meaning of "bug". A bug is an existing feature that doesn't work as it was intended when written.

Passwords in plain text would be a security issue, but since the fix for that issue is most likely a new feature rather than fixing an existing feature (I haven't looked at the code so I don't know if there is broken code that should do this, but it doesn't sound like it), then it is a new feature and not a bug.

So, the question that started this thread is the most relevant: because it is a big concern, should we add this to the branch even though it is a new feature and not a bug fix?

My opinion on that is let the users of the branch decide... I'm not really in a good position to express an opinion because I make a regular practice of pushing clients away from the branch and to the trunk so that new work we do for them (new stuff being most of what we do as a company) can be done in participation with the project.

We could do a formal vote where only PMC votes are binding, but it might be more valuable to just get feedback from branch users and make a decision. Purely an administrative comment that.

-David