From: Jonathon -- Improov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:51 PM
To: dev@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: svn commit: r597479 -
/ofbiz/trunk/applications/party/entitydef/entitymodel.xml

Yeah, the additional documentation adds "zero" to the documentation value.

For eg, field "contactMechTypeId" is described as "Contact mechanism type
ID". Would be more
descriptive to say "unique identifier for a contact mechanism (see *) type".
And somewhere else at
"*", we have:

"A contact mechanism is a way or method to contact an entity like a Person
or Company. Examples
are phone numbers, postal addresses, etc."

As for "too much documentation", that is true if the documentation is not
concise. For eg,

"Field contactMechTypeId is a contact mechanism type ID. It is an ID that
identifies a contact
mechanism type. A contact mechanism type is a type of contact mechanism. The
ID identifies one
instance of such a contact mechanism type. The ID uniquely identifies the
contact mechanism type."

Only the last sentence really means something. A reader has to plough
through a lot of fluff to
get there!

"Too much documentation" is also true when speaking to the wrong audience,
like telling a group of
physicists: "gravity is the force we experience from a mass".

I get the impression that OFBiz documentation is targeted at OFBiz experts,
or at least competent
developers.

Documenting a single concept *concisely* in multiple places is good. That's
where "too much
documentation" doesn't hold. Cross-references between those multiple places
will be better. A
highly connected documentation is like a highly connected brain with fast
memory retrieval speeds.
Any neurologist here? :) I know there's a microbiologist, I think.

Jonathon

David E Jones wrote:
Skip,

Did you look at the stuff in this commit? If not please do so and
re-comment.

As for too much documentation, of course there is such a thing! People
have a hard time with documentation (ie not reading it...), so the less
the better. It's even great if they can find documents that describe
just what they are looking for, but even that gets into a "too much
documentation" because if you tried to create documentation for
everything anyone might want to do the volume of the docs would be so
huge that chances no one would ever find the document they are looking
for.
In general a nice balance is just reducing redundancy and trying to know
your audience. There are lots of audiences (like people who don't know
the difference between an invoice and order) that we probably won't be
helping by designating as an audience. People in that circumstance
should first learn about business, then about business systems, and then
about OFBiz. They will be MUCH happier. The same pattern applies on a
technical level. If we included J2EE 101, the Tomcat docs, etc, etc our
docs would be much bigger but less useful because of it.

-David